On October 7th 2018, the Emmabuntüs Collective is happy to announce the release of the new Emmabuntüs Debian Edition 2 1.03 (32 and 64 bits), based on Debian 9.5 stretch distribution and featuring the XFCE desktop environment.
This distribution was originally designed to facilitate the reconditioning of computers donated to humanitarian organizations, starting with the Emmaüs communities (which is where the distribution’s name obviously comes from), to promote the discovery of GNU/Linux by beginners, as well as to extend the lifespan of computer hardware in order to reduce the waste induced by the overconsumption of raw materials (1).
This update is released to improve the current Emma DE2 by adding some functional, ergonomic as well as cosmetic features. This version anticipate what will be the next Emmabuntüs Debian Edition 3, based on the coming Debian 10, of which we plan to release an Alpha or Beta version in February-March 2019 time frame.
EmmaDE2 1.03 desktop screen capture with the welcome window
This Debian Edition 2-1.03 version includes the following fixes and enhancements :
- Based on Debian 9.5 Stretch
- Added welcome and tools windows
- Added new and more compact post-installation dialog windows
- Added software installation management in Flatpak format
- Added control script optimizing the Swap usage
- Added the steam installation script, only available on the 64-bit version
- Added PDF-Shuffler, Gscan2pdf
- Added screen lock app for Lxde
- Added shortcuts to user folders
- Added Bluetooth activation management, if the adapter is present
- Added automatic swap activation in Live mode
- Added of the mounting of the hard disks or internal partitions without password request
- Added the execution of the post-installation scripts without password request
- Improved desktop integration
- Improved wallpaper management when starting Xfce