On June 15th 2020, the Emmabuntüs Collective is happy to announce the release of the update Emmabuntüs Debian Edition 3 1.02 (32 and 64 bits), based on the Debian 10.4 Buster distribution and featuring the XFCE/LXQt desktop environment.
This distribution was originally designed to facilitate the reconditioning of computers donated to humanitarian organizations, starting with the Emmaüs communities (which is where the distribution’s name obviously comes from), to promote the discovery of GNU/Linux by beginners, as well as to extend the lifespan of computer hardware, thereby reducing the waste induced by the over-consumption of raw materials.
This new update of our distribution mimics the improvements implemented in the recent Emmabutüs DE4 version, that is the additions of :
- the LXQT environment which replaces LXDE, and is natively installed in the ISO and no longer needs a additional post-installation step ;
- the web browser Falkon, which consumes only 1GB of RAM under LXQt ;
- the inxi/inxi-gui utilities to improve the user support through our forum ;
- the gThumb image viewer/organizer, replacing Nomacs, which allows you to easily manage your picture library ;
- the SMTube application as well as the font-manager, mediainfo-gui and mdadm utilities for a better handling of our distribution ;
- the KeePassXC and Onboard utilities to replace their obsoleted equivalents (KeePassX and Florence).
Screen capture with Falkon under EmmaDE3 1.02 LXQt
On top of these changes already included in the Emmabuntüs DE 4 version, we added the VeraCrypt utility, allowing you to secure your personal data within an encrypted and portable container, as well as GtkHash to ease the checksum controls of your files and the ISO ones. We also added RadioTray-NG and Vokoscreen to replace their obsolete equivalents (RadioTray and Kazam). These enhancements will in turns be ported to the next update of Emmabuntüs DE 4 Alpha 2, which will be released when the Debian 11 Alpha 3 is available on-line.
The whole set of our scripts has been improved and completed to simultaneously support both XFCE and LXQt desktop environments.
The video made by our friend arpinux presents the most important new features embedded within this new EmmaDE4, as well as the eternal essentials of the Emmabuntüs distribution. This video is very well suited to present also the new features of this Emmabuntüs DE 3 1.02 version.
This Debian Edition 3 1.02 version includes the following new features, fixes and enhancements :
- Based on Debian 10.4 Buster
- Replaced LXDE by the LXQt desktop environment
- Added Falkon Internet browser to be used under LXQt
- Added SMTube
- Added inxi/inxi-gui, font-manager, mediainfo-gui and mdadm software tools
- Added VeraCrypt software tool
- Added GtkHash software tool
- Added “First steps on Emmabuntüs Debian Edition 3” tutorial
- Replaced Nomacs by gThumb
- Replaced KeePassX by KeePassXC
- Replaced obsolete RadioTray by RadioTray-NG
- Replaced Kazam by Vokoscreen
- Updated “The Debian Beginner’s handbook, version Buster“
- Updated the EmmaDE3 installation and presentation tutorials for LXQt
- Updated Boot-Repair and OS-Uninstaller 4ppa78
- Fixed the recovery console connection, without root account.
- Fixed the CBR documents reading issu
- Removed Surf
- Removed obsoleted software Picasa
- Updated the respective versions of HPLip 3.20.5, Multisystem 1.0446 (26/04/2020), Firefox ESR 68.9.0, and Thunderbird 68.9.0
As of June 15th 2020, this version can be downloaded by visiting this page :