On July 18th, 2022, the Emmabuntüs Collective is happy to announce its Emmabuntüs Debian Edition 5 Alpha 0 (32 and 64 bits) new release, based on Debian 12 Bookworm currently in development and supporting both Xfce and LXQt desktop environments. Our new version is released in Alpha 0 since the Debian 12 version is not yet available in Alpha version.
This distribution was originally designed to facilitate the reconditioning of computers donated to humanitarian organizations, starting with Emmaüs communities (which is where the distribution’s name obviously comes from), to promote the discovery of GNU/Linux by beginners, as well as to extend the lifespan of computer hardware, in order to reduce the waste induced by the over-consumption of raw materials.
This new version of our distribution is the migration of Emmabuntüs DE4 under Debian 12 Bookworm supporting a better handling of both the UEFI and the Secure Boot thanks to an update of our refurbishing key in order to support saving and cloning operations with the Secure Boot option. These improvements will be back-ported to EmmaDE4 during its the next update.
We take advantage of this new version to remove obsoleted software and to clean up some of the less useful and dual-use embedded software.
For this version Alpha 0, the following and improvements and fixes have been implemented :
- Based on the Debian 12 development release
- Added 64-bit UEFI boot with a 32-bit ISO and vice versa
- Added installation of boot in UEFI 64 bits with a 32 bits ISO and vice versa
- Added MenTest86+ launch in UEFI mode
- Fixed activation not launching keyboard selection in SysLinux and GRUB
- Fixed Zenity crash when installing new language packs
- Fixed language change script due to Calamares
- Updated Debian Beginner’s handbook 11.3
- Updated Calamares slideshow by adding a slide on the reuse campaign
- Updated a new version of DWService agent and implemented a package
- Updated gSpeech 0.11.0
- Removed MultiSystem which has become obsolete
- Removed Disconnect, HTTPS Everywhere extensions and use of Firefox functions
- Removed MintLocale become not compatible with Debian 12
- Removed Hexchat and Empathy
- Removed Soundconverter and Winff
- Removed Imagination and Hugin
- Removed Stellarium to save space on the ISO
- Removed deprecated ndiswrapper and ndisgtk
- Used default Liberation Sans font in LXQt
- Activation of boot-repair and os-uninstaller only live
- Update: Firefox ESR 91.11.1, Thunderbird 91.10.1, Ventoy 1.0.78, Warpinator 1.2.9, Radiotray-NG 0.2.8, TurboPrint 2.53-1, boot-repair 4ppa200, Veracrypt 1.25.9, MintStick 1.4 .9, Beginner’s Notebooks Debian 11.3
This version will be available from July 18th 2022, on this download page download.emmabuntus.org